We provide competitive auction metrics to help you make data-informed decisions about how to optimize your campaigns.
These competitive metrics are calculated and presented at the ad set level, and will be available after an ad set has been running for at least a day. You can access this data in two places:
- On the campaign performance page, as a custom metric
- On the Edit Ad Set page under "Summary"
For the first method, click to a campaign to view its ad sets. Then, click the circular metric button on the upper right corner of the ad set list.
Click "Auction Insights" from the list provided and specify which metrics you would like to include in your dashboard. Metrics include:
- Impression share: The percent of auctions the ad set entered, and was one of the winners. Please note that auctions can have multiple winners as there are multiple ad slots available on a page.
- Absolute impression share: The percent of auctions the ad set entered, and won the top available slot.
- Auctions lost to competition: The percent of auctions the ad set entered, and was the best ad set in your account for the auction, but did not win an available slot
These metrics are updated daily and are calculated over the prior week's auctions.
How do I use my Auction Insights?
There are a few levers you can utilize using your Auction Insights: increasing bids, improving creative, or expanding targeting.
- If your 'auctions lost to competition' rate is high, your ad set is entering auctions but not winning many of them. In this case, raising your bid or improving your creative can make your ad sets more competitive. Our auction considers how much an advertiser is willing to bid, and how relevant the ad content is to a given user. Testing new creatives can help improve relevance, which increases the likelihood of a user interacting with the ad, and thus the likelihood that the ad wins the auction.
- If your 'impression share' is high but your 'absolute impression share' is low, your ad set is winning a slot in most auctions but a competitor is winning the top slot. Winning the top slot can result in more delivery, more clicks, and higher CTRs. Similarly in this case, raising your bid or improving your creative may help you be more competitive in auctions for the top ad slots.
- If your 'impression share' and 'absolute impression share' are both high, your ad set is winning most of the auctions it enters. If you want to generate more impressions, the best lever you have is to expand your ad set's targeting. That could mean targeting more topics or trying additional targeting methods, such as Interest Targeting or Lookalike Targeting.