Keyword Targeting helps you find relevant question pages to display your ad on Quora based on words or phrases you specify. Keyword Targeting can also help advertisers tailor their ad copy to map closely to the targeted keywords.
Where will my ads appear?
Keyword Targeting is a form of contextual targeting, so it will show ads alongside all questions that match the keywords provided. This includes question pages and questions expanded on a feed.
For more information about ad placement, please see Where do Quora ads appear?
When do I use Keyword Targeting?
Advertisers who have seen success on search platforms can easily repurpose their keywords on Quora to target users at various stages of intent. It is ideal for advertisers who want to scale their Question Targeting efforts.
How do I set up Keyword Targeting?
- Click your desired campaign.
- Click “Create Ad Set” and name your ad set.
- Under Choose Primary Targeting, select "Contextual Targeting."
- Next, select "Keywords" from the menu below.
- Keywords can be added manually into the “Keywords” field. You can also exclude Keywords that you do not want to be associated with your ads.
- Select your secondary targeting preferences and bid.
- Click “Continue” to save your changes.
To kickstart your Keyword Targeting ad set, copy and paste keywords you've used on other search ad platforms to Quora Ads Manager. This is a search ad targeting method that can help you more precisely reach users who are expressing an intent that matches your business offering.
- Navigate to a campaign and click "Create Ad Set."
- Click the "Import Ad Set" button on the bottom left corner.
- Select the Keyword History ad set you'd like to import from the dropdown menu.
- Optional: deselect the ad set attributes you do not want to import.
- Click "Import Fields."
- Click "Contextual Targeting."
- Click "Continue" to save your ad set.
Quora offers 2 types of keyword matching: broad match and phrase match at the ad set level. Keyword matching is not case sensitive. Additionally, you can specify negative keywords or phrases when you do not want to display your ad.
- Broad match is useful when you'd like to show your ad to a wide audience and don't want to spend too much time choosing keywords. Broad match helps you reach a larger audience by displaying your ad on question pages with close variations of your keywords.
- Phrase match allows for more narrow targeting than broad match by displaying your ad only where there is an exact match to your keyword. Since an exact match to the phrase is required, you can reach customers who have expressed a specific intent that matches your business offering.
- Exclude filters out question pages that contain keywords you do not wish to target. Please note that adding too many exclusions can reduce your reach.
These different matching types help you control for how closely related the question needs to be to your keywords for your ad to be displayed.
What are best practices for Keyword Targeting?
- Leverage existing keywords. If you run ads on search platforms, the easiest way to get started with Keyword Targeting on Quora is to use your existing keywords. You can do this by copying and pasting comma separated keywords directly into Ads Manager.
- Future-proof. Thousands of questions are added to Quora every day. For Keyword Targeting, our system automatically includes new and pertinent questions, so that your ad set is constantly targeting all the most relevant content, without any additional work from you.
- Customize your ad copy. Keyword Targeting allows advertisers to tailor their ad copy to map closely to the keywords targeted.
- Research existing Quora questions. If you are building keyword targeting lists for the first time, think about what questions your potential customers might be searching for and reading about on Quora. For example, if your business sells software that helps people with their personal finances, some keywords relevant to Quora users can be personal finance, budgeting, financial advice, investment help, banking advice. You can choose to exclude keywords that aren't relevant to your business like taxes, stock trading, “real estate”.
- Pair it with Sessions and Promoted Answers. Write answers about your product, service, industry, or people and retarget ads to people reading those answers for more conversions.
- Leverage keywords that are relevant to you. Look for keywords that you’ve used on other advertising platforms that have been effective and could translate well into questions on Quora.