Where will my ads appear?
Keyword History shows ads to users who previously read a question that contains a keyword. Advertisers will be able to target ads towards users who visited groups of question pages in a given time period (ex. the last 20 days). Ads are shown on users’ feeds, topic feeds, and question pages.
For more information about ad placement, please see Where do Quora ads appear?
How is Keyword History targeting different from Question History Targeting?
Question History Targeting targets users who viewed specific questions. By contrast, Keyword History Targeting targets users who viewed specific groups of questions. The questions are grouped by the keywords you select. This allows you to target more users who have seen a larger number of questions compared to Question History.
For more information about Question History, please see Question History Targeting.
When do I use Keyword History Targeting?
Keyword History Targeting allows you to reengage with users who have previously read sets of questions that are relevant to your business goals. This method is a great way for you to reach people who have expressed a strong intent for a question or subject. This is valuable because you can “follow up” with a person who has already indicated that they may be in the market for a product or service that you provide. Users are qualified to be included in Keyword History Targeting for a keyword if, in the defined time period, they did one of the following actions:
- They visited a Question page, and the question contained your keyword
- They expanded an answer to that Question in Quora’s feed, digest, or other places, and the question contained your keyword
- The question was answered during a Session and they visited that Sessions page, and the question contained your keyword
How do I set up Keyword History Targeting?
If you currently have a Keyword Targeting ad set, the easiest way to get started with Keyword History Targeting on Quora is to use your existing keywords. You can do this by copying and pasting comma separated keywords directly into the ad set. You can also use the "Import Ad Set" tool to import your Keyword ad set and switch it to Keyword History Targeting.
If this is your first time using Keyword and Keyword History Targeting, you can follow these steps:
- Click your desired campaign.
- Click “+Create Ad Set” and name your ad set.
- Under “Primary Targeting”, select "Behavioral Targeting."
- Next, select "Keyword History."
- Specify the Time Window you'd like to use for this ad set.
- Copy and paste keywords into the field, or add them manually.
- Select your secondary targeting preferences and bid.
- Click “Update” to save your changes.
Quora offers two types of keyword matching: broad match and phrase match. Keyword matching is not case sensitive.
- Broad match is useful when you'd like to show your ad to a wide audience and don't want to spend too much time choosing keywords. Broad match helps you reach a larger audience by displaying your ad to users who visited question pages with close variations of your keywords.
- Phrase match allows for more narrow targeting than broad match by displaying your ad only to users who visited questions that have an exact match to your keyword. Since an exact match to the phrase is required, you can reach users who visited groups of question pages that match your business offering.
- Exclude filters out question pages you do not wish to target. If users read a question with the excluded keyword, they will not see your ad.
These different matching types help you control for how closely related the questions need to be to your keywords.
|Match Type||Symbol||Keywords||Questions that match||Questions that do not match||Includes||Excludes|
What makes planning for financial decisions so hard?
What is the best financial advice you've received?
What are the best ways to save money?
How do people get rich?
|Close variations singular and plural form, stemming and accents||Misspellings, acronyms, abbreviations|
|Phrase||"keyword"||"financial planning"||Why is financial planning so hard?||What makes planning for financial decisions so hard?||Exact matches of the phrase, variations of the phrase, additional words before and after the phrase||Additional words in middle of phrase, reordering of words, misspellings, acronyms, abbreviations|
What are best practices for Keyword History targeting?
- Leverage existing Question History ad sets. If you currently have a Question History ad set, identify keywords in the questions and use them to create a Keyword History ad set. For example, if you are currently targeting users who visited the question, What’s the best personal finance advice?, you can target users who have visited any question containing the keyword personal finance.
- Futureproof. Many questions are added to Quora every day. For Question Targeting, you have to regularly check for new questions relevant to your business and add them to your ad set. For Keyword History Targeting, our system automatically includes new and pertinent questions, so that your ad set is constantly targeting all the most relevant content, without any additional work from you.
- Research existing Quora questions. If you are building keyword targeting lists for the first time, think about what questions your potential customers might be searching for and reading about on Quora. For example, if your business sells software that helps people with their personal finances, some keywords relevant to Quora users can be personal finance, budgeting, financial advice, investment help, banking advice.
- Pair it with Sessions and Promoted Answers. Write answers about your product, service, industry, or people and retarget ads to people reading those answers for more conversions.
- Leverage keywords that are relevant to you. Look for keywords that you’ve used on other advertising platforms that have been effective and could translate well into questions on Quora.